Tuesday, March 31, 2009

If a rock falls on Mars and there is nobody there to hear it, does it make a noise?

I hope nobody minds that I often find blog topics from other blogs, that come from someone else's blog! I found this neat thing on Universe Today, but then it was tied in with Cumbrian Sky which is Stuart Atkinson's blog.
So I guess as long as I pass credit I should be following proper blogger ettiquite?
Anyway, I would assume tht a rolling boulder on Mars would make some kind of sound. There was a microphone on the Phoenix lander, but I thing time ran out before it could take a listen to the sound of Martian winds blowing. I read somewhere that sound would travel in the thin atmosphere, but would have a different tone to it. I won't say more since I'm not sure and foreget the details of that. I'll have to Google that.
Stuart is one of those clever guys that takes raw data from the Mars orbiter and uses the data to create really amazing images. He had this rolling rock on his site today. The image shows that Mars does have movement an things happen. Not just a dead rock with dust blowing around.
Bounce, bounce, bounce.....

No comments: