Here are the details:
Wanted: Volunteer Ambassadors to the Stars
What do a teacher, surfer, firefighter, award-winning book author and neurosurgeon have in common? A love of space and a desire to share that passion. They've joined a growing number of private citizens in NASA's Solar System Ambassador program, which brings space information to the public through planetarium talks, telescope-viewing parties, mall displays and other events. Now you can volunteer too. Applications are being accepted through Sept. 30.
Ambassadors are U.S. citizens selected from all 50 states, plus Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico or U.S. citizens serving U.S. audiences abroad. The program is one of the longest-running NASA volunteer outreach projects.
* Ideal volunteers are self-starters who are enthusiastic about space exploration and active in their communities
* Demonstrated ability in public engagement and/or disseminating information
* Initiative and ingenuity to engage his/her community in learning about NASA's space exploration efforts
* Ability to inspire community youth to seek careers in science and technology
* Makes the best responsible use of the materials provided
* Each ambassador agrees to hold at least four public events during the year and report on those events
Volunteer Benefits Include:
* Receive online training from JPL
* Educational materials supplied by various space missions
* Contact with mission scientists
* E-Mail updates with mission information and news
* Satisfaction of knowing you've made a difference in someone's life